Thursday, August 25, 2011

Call to Four Step

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17




First the phrase, "All Scripture", means all of it.

I have considered it often regarding the children. And somewhat less with myself in a basic way. It is easy to get large concepts and accept the precepts. As I set my mind and heart to meditation, revelation springs. Visions of the Bible being a Headmaster of sorts, instructing me. At first thought, what a blessing, a teacher, eager to teach ME! BUT then....I remember the best teachers of my past. Everyone of them stretched, challenged and confronted me. Quite demanding actually. At times learning was the last thing I wanted to do.......just finish it, avoid it, skim by, or skip it! There always existed crowds of complainers and those demanding compromise and change...whiners and manipulators. Sometimes I was in their number. These teachers often had fierce reputations accompanying mottos and moans following the sound of their names. But I learned, and learn to respect them...even learned to enjoy the subject...or at least appreciate it. Teaching is active with the teacher. The greatest effort and responsibility are with the teacher. The student is putting in their time and might hope to get something out of it, or might not. The student may have other reasons for the course than application. Knowledge can be gained yet wisdom and discretion may not. Head knowledge is most often gained before heart knowledge. Teaching is at times gentle. And a blessed teacher bates many hooks.

Good teachers wanted us to get it all. The math teachers didn't want, wouldn't allow, you to take multiplication out of the subject and the order of operations was not something they would compromise on. All of it. We couldn't pick and choose. God Breathed all of it.....it's all for teaching us....me. *sigh* As with math, the Word contains much we don't understand the "why" of what we need it for. It is just simply beyond our understanding. Learning to respect, accept and trust The ONE making the lesson plans defines what faith is. The element of trust cannot be removed from faith. It cannot exisit without it. It is very hard to practice faith without knowing what it is.

AS if THAT is not strong enough.........REBUKING!? Who wants THAT? Is that when my face glosses over as my brain scrambles to find the file of blame, excuse, justification or exemption! We know rebuking is not going to be pleasant. Teaching could be. After all there are classes we like, but not rebuking...it's gonna hurt and the rebuker isn't gonna let up until we get it. So with each file comes harder hitting rebukes...*ow* Stubbornness sores in my flesh.....confrontation and adrenaline prepare for countering each on coming rebuke. Defenses up, learning shut down. Heart hardens, bitterness stews, anger flares. After personal exhaustion and Truth, full of inexhaustible strength, remain standing dishing out endless rebukes......finally hitting the mark in my heart........to cut something out. Too tired to fight it with no files left to fight with....acceptance is calming, providing relief. Wisdom is gained and savored. Hard won? Or the product of a Faithful Rebuker? He loves us, that much. He will rebuke. He is able. Rebuke? Rescue? Restore? Redeem?

Now correcting is a bit clearer and more well received. (Especially following a rebuke war) Not that it is comfortable. It just doesn't confront motives or false beliefs. Lies we live by need to be rebuked. They need called out, cut out, burned out! Correction starts with an agreement in place of what is right and what is wrong. Who is God and who is not. The wound to cut doesn't have to go as deep. It doesn't require life support or heroic measures. More of a reminder with a paddle or time-out to sink in the memory enough to make self corrections. The use of self-control and the desire to have self government. Creating the steps in us to not only call on the Holy Spirit for empowerment but fans the flame of desire, serving HIM with our lives. To choose His will over ours. Abundant Life. A Life worth living.

Training is something we will stand in line to sign up for. Eager with excitement and anticipation. We want it. Well, we want the training we want. We want to use the training we get the way we want to. So control is the issue here. The Lord has our training prepared already. It may or may not be what we signed up for. Or what we thought it was gonna be like. Training requires dedication and perseverance. Knowing the goal and gaining on it. Training is discipline. Being disciplined. Allowing Him to come along beside us and speak every step of the way. There is no training without a daily relationship where we seek understanding and step out in faith. Risk takes place testing our training. We learn purpose in training. All the preparation is for use. Go. Do. Train to train. Be discipled to disciple. Keep near to Jesus, train to walk on water and fish for men.

Teach, Rebuke, Correct, and Train. Four steps to being equipped. All of them are needed. All scripture is God Breathed! These three steps of righteousness can't be skipped, each gift us with what is needed to fulfill our destiny in Christ! I want that. Lord, don't give up on me.....Teach me. When I need it, rebuke. Show me correction. Train me the way I should go.

After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward. Genesis 15:1

As the rain and the snow

and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
Isaiah 55:10-11

So he said to me, This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD Almighty. Zechariah 4:6

Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.
Matthew 4:4

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Mark 13:31

I am the Lord’s servant, Mary answered. May your word to me be fulfilled. Luke 1:38

They were amazed at his teaching, because his words had authority. Luke 4:32

Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. Luke 9:26

Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” Luke 11:28

For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. Luke 21:15

The Word Became Flesh
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:1-5


No comments:

Post a Comment